A battery is a source of electric power for electric devices. It is often referred to as an electrochemical device that stores up and supplies power to electronic devices by converting the chemical energy stored into usable electric currents. Basically, the battery acts as a storage unit where the power is stored in chemical form and transferred to the device as electricity.
There are three primary types of batteries; Alkaline batteries, Nickel-metal hydride batteries, and Lithium-ion batteries. Each battery type has its specific uses, and they are all uniquely significant. However, the latter is often the most used for household and semi-industrial uses. Lithium-ion batteries are also of different types, and this article focuses on the Lithium-ion phosphate battery and its top uses.
Description Of The Lithium-ion Phosphate Battery
The Lithium-ion Phosphate Battery (LiFePO4), also referred to as Lithium Ferrophosphate, is arguably the most popular type of lithium-ion battery in use today. LiFePO4 has a low electrical conductivity, making it relatively weaker than some other lithium-ion batteries. But it has proven to be just appropriate for home appliances and a few less energy-consuming industrial equipment.
The bedrock for the success and fame that LiFePO4 batteries have in recent years is the fact that they are the longest-lasting battery type-safe for use. A regular LiFePO4 can last for up to 10 years of regular usage if it is well cared for. A lot of credit goes to the LiFePO4 battery manufacturer worldwide for maintaining the best battery quality for such a long period.
Common Uses Of LiFePO4 Batteries
The LiFePO4 has various uses and powering several appliances and devices. It has also proven to behold its own as the sole power supply for bigger equipment. Here, let’s take a look at some of the stand-out uses of Lithium-ion Phosphate batteries.
- Portable Power Station:A portable power station is an inverter generator powered by a battery directly connected to its power source. From the sound of this, you know it takes only a solid and stable battery to pull this task off, and LiFePO4 is often equal to the task.
- Solar Street Lights: Solar street lights are very common, and you can find them almost everywhere today. But what you may not know is that they utilize primary batteries to store energy, and LiFePO4 batteries are the most app6.
- Emergency Lighting: Emergency lights help to keep power up temporarily when there is a power outage in more prominent organizations. These emergency lightings operate on Lithium batteries, and the LiFePO4 is again considered the favorite for this purpose.
Features Of Lithium-ion Phosphate Batteries
LiFePO4 batteries have some telling qualities that make them unique. They include;
- They may not be up there in terms of high energy, but they have a very high amount of specific energy capacity.
- They are portable and do not weigh too much
- They are known to last very long
- They charge relatively quickly
- They do not overheat much, even when they are used extensively.
The LiFePO4 battery is considered one of the best types of lithium batteries, considering how useful it is and the potentials it shows. But remember that you can only get the best from your Lithium-ion phosphate battery when it is well maintained.